A fun addition to your home occupational therapy program is slime. Slime is a great way to increase hand strength which is an essential skill for writing. Bonus points when you can use also teach about the season as well as use some aromatherapy. Caramel Apple Slime will have you dreaming of crisp fall nights while your little people plays without ever realizing it’s therapy.
Supplies for Caramel Apple Slime
- 1 airtight container
- 1 5 oz bottle of clear glue*
- ½ cup water *
- ½ tsp baking soda*
- 1 tbsp contact solution*
- Red food coloring
- Red fine glitter
- Caramel paint
- Apple Cider Fragrance Oil
- Brown Polymer Clay
- Small bowl
*Will need two of each of these
AmazonBasics All Purpose Washable School White Liquid Glue – Great for Making Slime, 1 Gallon BottleEquate Saline Solution for Sensitive Eyes Twin Pack, 12 fl oz, 4 countApple Cider Scented Oil by Good Essential (Huge 1oz Bottle – Premium Grade Fragrance Oil) – Perfect for Aromatherapy, Soaps, Candles, Slime, Lotions, and More!Deli Food Storage Containers with Lids, 16 Ounce (48 Count)Sculpey S302 1109 III Polymer Clay 2 Ounces-Suede BrownApple Barrel 21981E Multi Surface Acrylic Paint, 2 oz, Classic CaramelArm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda, 8 ozFood Coloring – 10 Color cake food coloring liquid Variety Kit for Baking, Decorating,Fondant and Cooking, Slime Making Supplies Kit – .25 fl. oz. (6ml) BottlesCraft and Party, 1 pound bottled Craft Glitter for Craft and Decoration (Red)
Instructions for Caramel Apple Slime
- In a bowl, pour the entire 5 oz bottle of clear glue.
- Add in ½ cup of water.
- Add in ½ tsp baking soda and stir.
- Drop a few drops of red food coloring. Stir.
- Pour in some glitter.
- Add a few drops of apple cider fragrance oil.
- Add 1 tbsp contact solution. It will instantly begin to form.
- It will be STICKY! Don’t panic! Mix the solution in the bowl until it starts to form.
- Knead the slime until it is no longer sticky. Set aside.
- Repeat the process, except this time stir in caramel paint color and omit the glitter. Set aside.
- Roll a piece of clay into a long snake shape.
- Cut small pieces to resemble nuts. Bake at 275 for a few minutes on a piece of wax paper.
- Layer the red slime first and add the caramel color on top. Sprinkle in some clay nuts on top.
- Store in an airtight container.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. We make the slime one day here in Autismland then use it until it looks terrible. It normally lasts several months before it gets too dirty or hairy (we have pets) to use anymore. It works out that it’s a new season therefore we need new slime anyway. I like to add more fragrance oil from time to time to get in an aromatherapy session. This autism mama needs to work smarter not harder.
Want more slime recipes?