Slime is a great occupational therapy tool! You can use it for fine motor work, increasing hand strength as well as web space development. All three of those things are crucial to handwriting. Your child will struggle with the physical act of writing if any of these three things are weak.
Bonus points that slime is super fun and easy to make. Making up several batches would also be an amazing time to work on the master/apprentice relationship with your child. Might as well get the maximum amount of therapy out of an activity!
DIY SLUSHIE SLIME FOR OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
- 1 airtight container
- 1 5 oz bottle of clear glue
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp contact solution
- Slushie Beads
- Small bowl
Elmer’s Liquid School Glue, Premium Clear, Washable, 1 Gallon, 1 Count – Great For Making SlimeEquate Saline Solution, Contact Lens Solution for Sensitive Eyes Twin Pack 2 x 12 fl oz (2×12 Fl Oz)107 Pack Slime Kit -100 Sheets Imitation Gold Leaf, Fishbowl Beads Fish Bowl 3.5oz, Slushie Beads 3.5oz, Colorful Styrofoam Foam Balls 10000pc with Mermaid Confetti, Fruit Splice, Glitter Sequin, GridFood Coloring Liqua-Gel – 12 Color Variety Kit in .75 fl. oz. (20ml) Bottles16 oz. Plastic Deli Food Storage Containers with Airtight Lids [48 Sets]
- In a bowl, pour the entire 5 oz bottle of clear glue.
- Add in ½ cup of water.
- Add in ½ tsp baking soda and stir.Add 1 tbsp contact solution. It will instantly begin to form.
- Next, add in the slushie beads if you want it textured.
- It will be STICKY! Don’t panic! Mix the solution in the bowl until it starts to form.
- Knead the slime until it is no longer sticky.
- Divide into airtight containers
- Drop a few colors of coloring. We use soap dyes. I love them – there are a ton of colors to choose from and they don’t color your hands. Stir to mix.
- Add in essential oils if you want. I like to add orange, & bergamont
Note: After the slime sits for a bit, the beads will rise to the top and the slime will settle to the bottom. It’s ok – just mix it and it will go back together. The kids thought this was super cool!