Today’s installment will come to you via Haunted Mansion. This is hands down Logan’s favorite ride at Magic Kingdom. Every kid gets to pick a ride when we go to the parks that is their absolute must ride before we leave. The littles usually pick Thunder Mountain , I pick Pirates of the Caribbean and Logan always picks Haunted Mansion.
Homeschooling Using Haunted Mansion
- Make up your own epitaph like the gravestones at the front entrance. These are fun to do in line while you wait.
- Try to decipher how the special effects are done throughout the ride (ie Pepper’s Ghosts and ultraviolet light).
- Draw or sketch something inside the ride like the dusty chandelier or the changing picture above the fireplace.
- Read Edgar Allen Poe to see if there are any similarities in his poems and the ride.
- Time how long it takes you to ride. Find out what time the ride opens and closes. Calculate how many people can ride in one day.
- Research why the bride is called the Black Widow and determine if the story is true.
Disney Youth Education does have a class called Energy and Waves Physics Lab all about this ride for high schoolers. You discover all about properties of light and how that can be used to make special effects. Mirrors are also involved in the process. You learn about sound waves and how they can be manipulated. The highlight of the class is to go behind the scenes for the dining room to learn how the ghosts are put in the room. Exhilarating to say the least. It is so simple you can’t believe it.
Have you rode Haunted Mansion? What would you add to the list of things you can learn using this ride. I’d love to hear your thoughts!